10 Remarkably Effective Home Remedies for Gas and Bloating
Did you ever stop to wonder why almost all Indian restaurants have a large bowl of seeds placed strategically at the exit?
No doubt that Indian cuisine is delicious, but most of us will find ourselves paying a very smelly price for it. To make sure you won’t regret ever going into that restaurant, they place a bowl full of fennel seeds at the exit (and they know exactly what they are doing).
Fennel seeds happen to be the champion of natural gas and bloating remedies.
The King of Home Remedies for Bloating
Fennel is definitely the fastest and most effective home remedy for bloating and gas. All you have to do to get rid of a bloated tummy is to follow these 3 steps:
- Chew a pinch of fennel seeds.
- Chew a few more fennel seeds.
- Say “Checkmate, gas” after 2-5 minutes.
Fennel is a green leafy plant that tastes much like black licorice. If you like licorice-y things, you’ll love the taste. If the taste is too strong for you, you can always steep a pinch of seeds in hot water for 3 minutes and drink the water instead.
Hate the Licorice-y Taste? Try These Alternatives
For some reason, fennel or any other kind of licorice-y taste makes many people gag. But worry not, here are excellent alternatives:
- Peppermint tea – One of the most popular home remedies, probably because it works great and tastes so good. If you don’t have seasonal allergies, you can add some chamomile tea with it.
- A pinch of caraway seeds.
- Turmeric powder – Add 1 tbsp to boiling water and let it steep for 2 minutes. Drink slowly.
- Clove tea – boiling water over 3 heads of clove and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Ginger tea – You can drink a cup of ginger tea, or just chew on a piece of ginger. Another option is adding 5 drops of ginger essential oil in 2-3 tbsp of carrier oil and rubbing it on your stomach.
- A mixture of fennel, cardamom and mint leaves makes a tummylicious concoction that also helps with tummy bugs.
- Baking soda and lemon – Juice a lemon and add some baking soda to it. It will fizz, obviously. Keep adding baking soda until the fizz stops. Add a cup of water and fully dissolve all the baking soda. Drink slowly.
- Essential oils – I heard great things about the DigestZen by doTERRA essential oils. It has fennel, ginger, peppermint, tarragon, caraway, coriander and anise and works great for any type of stomach problems. You can rub it on kids’ little tummies too.
And while we’re on the subject, here are:
Natural Gas Remedies for Babies, Toddlers and Children
Gripewater is an excellent natural remedy for gassy babies and children with tummy issues of all ages. It’s made of fennel, ginger and chamomile and it can save any mom’s sanity, because it works instantly.
Another option is catnip and fennel tea. Even newborns can have a few tbsp of this remedy a day and can really work wonders. Peppermint tea is also safe for babies and children.
What If NOTHING Works?
If you have had gas and bloating issues for as long as you can remember, you should consider that you may suffer from a food sensitivity of some type – especially gluten intolerance or Celiac Disease. You wouldn’t believe how many people I personally know who saw their IBS, migraines, fatigue and flu-like symptoms disappear after a few weeks of gluten-free nutrition.
You don’t even have to get checked; just try eliminating gluten completely for a few weeks and your body will give you the answer.
This book is a great resource (for beginners) about gluten intolerance and a gluten-free diet.